Friday, September 25, 2009

Compton May 2001-Sept. 2005

So I am sad that I never really gave the proper props to our dog Compton when he was alive so here goes....

On a weekend Mike and I were driving around Mesa when we saw some kids walking a HUGE Great Dane dog. Mike said, that is my dream dog.

That Monday I was working at the daycare center I worked at and guess what? Someone brought in a box of puppies, 3 day old Great Dane/Mastiff puppies. I took it as a sign and guess who got his dream puppy?
Mike and I had our very first baby and we weren't even close to the real thing. We had to feed him every 3 hours, make him poop, and be there for him 24/7. Mike had a warehouse job and was able to take Compton to work with him for the 1st couple months of his life. Boy the bond that they had.

Compton loved us and loved Michael the best! When we would get mad at Michael and raise our voice Compton would stand between us and not let us near Michael. It scared me at the time but, Compton was just trying to protect his baby.

One day Compton was acting really weird and his extremities were very swollen, we took him in they thought it was either Valley Fever or Leukemia. Later in the week Compton wouldn't come up the stairs or really go anywhere. We knew this was NOT good. We didn't want him to have to suffer so we brought him in. It was such a sad day for us all. We brought Michael with so he would understand why Compton wasn't going to be around. I think he was too young to really understand. The dr. said it could take a few minutes but, within seconds he was gone. He was finally able to run around again and be a healthy dog.

Rest in Peace Compton May 2001-September 2005

5-26-02

10-11-02

3-13-2003

12-23-03

5-26-2005
9-19-2005

5 comments:

D Lee said...

Sad story about the dog. Adorable picture of 'little' Michael.

alicia said...

Is this the anniversary of his death? It's good to remember the fond memories. Looks like you're all ready for Halloween.

Life at The Hadenfeldt's said...

Honestly, I can remember what day we brought him in. I was going to do a post about our cat that is alive and thought it would only be right to do a post about our Compton first.

Shannon and Justin! said...

the pic of Michael and Compton is adorable!
I haven't been to Mill Ave yet - everyone at school makes it sound like its just a bunch of bars. Maybe I should go check it out and see if there is any good clean fun.

Hall Family said...

I think that's so cute that Michael had a dog! He sounds like a really good dog too that he would protect Michael like that! Such a sad story too! I think it's good to remember stories like this, get it written down, because one day Michael will want to know about his first real friend. :)